Friday, September 9, 2011

Just Beet It


I'm admittedly one of those people who detested beets as a child. It wasn't even predominantly the taste but rather the aesthetics. Yes, beets are beautiful. But they color, LITERALLY, everything around them. They cause mushrooms to look especially diseased. Thankfully, I have gotten over my fear of beets. I was a little skeptical of making BEET POPS, but decided to forge ahead. Dr. Cornelius suggested a currant pairing, citing currants as an incredibly underused ingredient. I took his advice and concocted:

1 can of sliced beets
6 oz Greek yogurt
2 tbs black currant preserves
1 tbs raw honey

As you can see, the color is magnificent. They are pretty delicious, too. I thought they could stand for another flavor, perhaps bolder on the currant front. Dr. Cornelius disagreed.

1 comment:

  1. This pop was excellent. Although cooked beets have a natural sweetness, I think it was enhanced by the preserves and honey, though those flavors were subtle.

    ReplyDelete