Tuesday, June 7, 2011

PomPop


I feel a little hipster saying this but...I'm annoyed at the pomegranate. Don't get me wrong, I love pomegranates. But lately? It's EVERYWHERE. Like the Acai and Goji berries, the pomegranate has become über trendy. It's touted for its so-called magical antioxidant properties. Fine, ok. I like antioxidants as much as the next girl. But due to its recent market dominance in everything from supplements to ice cream and martinis, I'm beginning to resent my love of the pomegranate, despite its beautiful appearance (pictured in my glass of LaCroix) and robust flavor.

All that said, I had to make a pomegranate pop. The box of fresh pomegranate seeds at Trader Joe's was calling my name (yes, I hate seeding my own pomegranates). My first attempt was delicious, but the stripe of seeds instantly fell out, leaving a sad hole in the middle of the pop. I had a genius idea, float the seeds in sugar water. I'm embarassed to say, I did not have any white sugar (only brown and sugar-splenda combo). So I was forced to use my free sample of Sun-Drop to float the berries between layers of blended blueberry and blackberry. Not the aesthetic outcome I had in mind, but a delicious Blueberry/Blackberry Pomegranate pop.

1 comment:

  1. The top photo looks very appetizing.

    Oh wait I love the other one too !!!

    But please don't turn into one of those assholes who takes a million photos of her sweet onion chicken teriyaki at Subway. And then and posts them all on facebook. And then Yelps about it.

    ReplyDelete